Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The final stretch -St. Bees to Whitehaven

leaving St. Bees
Amazing walk today, over the cliffs to Whitehaven. Only 6.5 miles but it felt longer (it always does) as you were constantly going up, sometimes very steeply and then down just as steeply. Once we had rounded North head, Whitehaven lay twinkling enticingly in the sunshine, but we never seemed to get any nearer.
We saw colonies of guillemots, thousands of them squeezed together on the cliffs and many cormorants but sadly no puffins.
The whole walk has been beautiful (apart from some parts of Barrow and that awful view of Sellafield!) I couldn't have wished for better weather, if it had been raining, some parts would have been impassable.
I feel really good to have completed the walk and I hoped that by doing it I would raise a decent amount of money for ABANA. Some people, including the lovely owner of the Manor Inn Hotel in St. Bees have already made donations and some dear friends have already made donations via Charity Giving.
Just before I set out yesterday, I heard that Charity Giving has been forced to suspend activities because a lot of money is unaccounted for - I couldn't believe it! I have always received my donations to ABANA with no problems
If you made a donation via the fund raising page after the 12th of July, the amount should be returned to you immediately. If you made one before that date, the amount will be paid to ABANA.
So please, if the money you donated has been returned to you or if you were thinking of making a donation and haven't yet done so , please still donate via this official account: ABANA account number 33813371 sort code 20-69-85
Your small donation means so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment