Monday, July 15, 2013

Seascale to St. Bees

Todays walk should have been easy (along the coast) and short (8.5 miles)it started off beautifully, we were walking through the most beautiful wild flowers imaginable,
but when we got to the far side of the Sellafield perimeter fence where we should have carried on, we were forced to ta.ke a massive detour because Sellafield was carrying out some work. The detour was signposted once and we ended up waist high in cornfields, on top of cliffs and going through dangerous no entry areas. Amazingly, we eventually made it back to the coast and plodded on - the coast is beautiful but it is very hard work walking on stones - ouch! I brought many of the stones home with me so my bag became heavier and heavier.
How wonderful to finally arrive at St. Bees head and sit down with a refreshing drink. I think the walk must have been at least 12 miles in the end. When tomorrow is over, I will never suggest walking again!

No comments:

Post a Comment